BAL Laboratory

Indoor Air Quality / Mold Testing

Mold spores exist everywhere. Mold and fungi are part of our natural environment. They play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees. Indoors, mold growth should be avoided.

Can you see mold growing in your home?

If you can see mold, then you have a mold problem. Let the professionals at BAL Laboratory determine if your mold problem could be a health concern.  We have the ability and capacity to sample for and analyze for a variety of mold species. We will help you determine if the mold growing in your home can be taken care of by you the homeowner or if professional mold remediators should be called in to tackle the job.

You cannot see any mold but your nose knows it is there?

If you cannot see mold but you smell mold, this could indicate a hidden source of mold in your home. Mold may be hidden in places such as the back side of dry wall, wallpaper, or paneling, the top side of ceiling tiles, the underside of carpets and pads, just to name a few of their favorite hiding spots. Other possible locations of hidden mold include areas inside walls around pipes, the surface of walls behind furniture, inside ductwork, and in roof materials above ceiling tiles.  Looking for hidden sources of mold can be dangerous.  You may inadvertently release thousands of mold spores into your home just by removing infested drywall.  It is important to take the necessary and safe precautions to limit your exposure to mold and mold spores.

Let the professionals at BAL Laboratory take away the concern of looking for hidden mold growths.  We have the equipment and expertise to search behind walls and under carpeting and flooring material to determine if you have hidden mold that you should be concerned about.

Why should I have my home tested for mold?

Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens, irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins).  Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses may include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash.  Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs.

Call BAL Laboratory

BAL Laboratory has several residential and commercial packages available. We work with our clients to determine the extent of testing and analysis needed.  Please contact the Laboratory at (401) 785-0241, for packages available or for a general consultation.

The links below provide additional useful information on Indoor Air Quality and Mold Testing:

www.epa.gov/mold/moldresources.html

www.health.ri.gov/healthrisks/mold
mold_indoor.php

BAL Laboratory belongs to the Indoor Air Quality Association (IAQA)